Sugar, Spice & Rice
THURSDAY, APRIL 5th
Main Route = 38 miles / 61km
Long Route = 68 miles / 117km*
*Long route includes a 5.6 mile / 9.0 km out and back leg to a lunch option
Lafayette - Broussard - Youngsville - Abbeville - New Iberia
Breakfast Options: Breakfast is on your own. We recommend Cafe 20.3 on the Bayou or Cuisine de Maman. Check out your Zydeco Bucks and the Program Guide for more suggestions!
7:00 - 10:00a: SHUTTLES BETWEEN Vermilionville & designated lafayette hotels (Garden PLaza Inn & Holiday Inn north)
Bicycle parking options 1) you can lock your bike Wednesday night to one of our racks outside at Beaver Park 2) you can drive over Thursday morning and drop off your bike at Vermilionville, then drive back to the Holiday Inn or Garden Plaza Inn, park your vehicle, and catch the shuttle to Vermilionville, or 3) if you are camping or staying at the designated local hotels in New Iberia, Breaux Bridge, or Opelousas and need long-term parking; then you can park your vehicles at the Garden Plaza Inn. Be sure to have your parking pass clearly visible on the dash board.
7:00a - 9:30a: Late check-in, packet pick-up, bicycle rentals & shipped bicycles pick-up.
- 7:00a - 9:30a Luggage trailers will be staged at Vermilionville. If you are camping or staying at New Iberia Holiday Inn on Thursday night please drop off your luggage at Vermilionville during this time only. If you are staying in a Lafayette hotel Thursday night, we suggest packing a small "day bag" with a towel and change of clothes to put on the luggage truck. All luggage will be delivered to New Iberia City Park, the staging area for Thursday afternoon.
8:30a - 10:00a: Pre-ride Jam! Bernard Hinault will kick off the ride after an invocation with Father Brown.
- 10:00a: Allons Rouler - Let's Ride yall!
10:00 aM: This is the only mass start for Cycle Zydeco AND is escorted by police through youngsville. all riders must leave together from Vermilionville. do not ride ahead or try to pass the escort!
The Main & Long routes will travel together to Youngsville and at mile @@ the routes will separate. The routes will be well marked with paint & some vertical signage. The Long route will travel to Abbeville, LA then meet the Main Route in New Iberia.
BROUSSARD (~11:00 a):
The "Intergalactic Boudin Capital of the World and you will have plenty of opportunities to judge for yourself over the next few days. In Broussard, we recommend using your Zydeco Bucks at BJ's Poorboys & Sandwiches (07 N Morgan Ave, Broussard, LA) and/or Ton's Drive-In (101 W. Main St., Broussard, LA). Other lunch or snack options include Billeaud Grocery (world renown for its delicious boudin & cracklins), and Young's Sports Grill.
YOUNGSVILLE (~11:30 a):
You are now in the heart of the Sugar Cane growing region in Lafayette Parish. Youngsville was once the 3rd largest producer of sugar cane in Louisiana. It's time for lunch and there are a several excellent options to consider whether for a meal or adult hydration. Our recommendations are Acadiana Bar and Grill (formerly Hooked Up), Romacelli in Sugar Mill Pond, or Rotolo's Pizzeria. You can use your Zydeco Bucks here and they are all located directly on the route! Other options include: Blue Apache, KK's Cafe & Cakery, Twins Burger & Sweets, Morvant's Bar & Grill, Dewey's, and Nunu's Fresh Market.
ROUTE SAGs (refreshment stations):
- 11:00a - 1:00p Sugar Mill Pond, Youngsville (Main & Long)
- 12:00p - 3:00p Bernard Duhon's Art Studio (Long Route)
- 12:00p - 4:00p Underpass @ Hwy 90 (Main & Long)
- 1:00p - 4:00p Delcambre (Long Route)
- 1:00p - 4:00p Beau Jardin Cafe (Main & Long)
- 2:00p - 6:00p New Iberia City Park (Party)
ABBEVILLE (LONG route)
If you ride the longer route out to Abbeville then you will pass by the Steen's Cane Syrup Plant. World famous Dupuy's Seafood & Steakhouse is not only a water station for riders, but is also a great option for lunch where you can use your Zydeco Bucks. The route will also take you through some beautiful areas in downtown Abbeville, such as Magdalen Square, St. Mary Magdalen Church, the Vermilion Parish courthouse and several others.
NEW IBERIA CITY PARK - DAY 1 FINAL DESTINATION POINT
2:00p - until: Shower trucks, day bags and luggage will be available for you at New Iberia City Park.
3:00p - 11:00p Shuttle Services between New Iberia City Park, Downtown New Iberia, our destination hotel Hampton Inn New Iberia, and the Lafayette hotels of Garden Plaza Inn Lafayette and Holiday Inn North Lafayette. Shuttles will also pass Konriko Rice Mill,
It is an easy 0.5 mile walk or ride from New Iberia City Park to the Steamboat Pavilion in the heart of Downtown. Bring your bike locks, lights and Zydeco Bucks.
3:00p - 5:30p Complimentary therapy and massages from Matt Smith with Clark Chiropractic. Available next to Matt will be Minute Med with IV Fluid Re-hydration.
NEW IBERIA: DOWNTOWN CREATIVE MARKET & CONCERT
The City of New Iberia is very excited to be hosting Cycle Zydeco. They have moved the date of their semi-annual art walk (the Downtown Creative Market) to coincide with the arrival of Cycle Zydeco. Riders will be on their own for dinner this night. At the end of the art walk, Cycle Zydeco will host a special concert, presented by Clementine on Main, at the Steamboat Pavilion on the banks of the Bayou Teche.
4:00p - 7:00p New Iberia Art Walk. Take in the sights and sounds of "The most beautiful downtown in America" according to famous "Dave Robichaux" novels author, James Lee Burke. There are several businesses that are not only offering specials for Cycle Zydeco participants, but are also part of the CZ Scavenger Hunt.
- Taunt Na Na's Flea Market: Free Popcorn for Cycle Zydeco riders.
- Shadows-on-the-Teche Historic Home: Experience a beautifully preserved Antebellum southern home at Shadows-on-the-Teche. From 2:00p - 5:30p, the historic home and museum will be offering cocktails, snacks, and 40 minute tours for only $15. Availability of the tour is limited, so get your ticket today!
- Conrad Rice Mill/Konriko Company Store: Special tour rate of $2.80 for all participants in Cycle Zydeco. Tour hours are from 10:00a - 5:00p. More info.
- Iberia Parish Library: Free tour of the Bunk Johnson Jazz Collection Room, where you can listen to a sampling of his music and/or watch an informative video.
- Sweet Interiors: 25% off all wall art
Dinner: Riders are on their own for dinner. There will be many options during the Downtown Creative Market and after.
Zydeco Bucks Participating Restaurants:
- Clementine on Main
- NILA's Bourbon Hall
- Little River Inn
- Bon Creole
- Pelican's on the Bayou
4:00p - 9:30p Cash bar next to the Steamboat Pavilion in Downtown New Iberia. Be sure to bring the redeemable drink tickets provided in your registration packet!
6:30p - 9:30p Live Cajun & Zydeco music performed by Grammy winner Chubby Carrier & the Bayou Swamp Band. The concert will be presented by Clementine on Main, at the Steamboat Pavilion in downtown New Iberia.
9:30p - 11:00p After Party sponsored by Clementine on Main! Continue enjoying the fun and entertainment in downtown New Iberia. Our shuttles will run until 11:00p.