Sugar, Spice & Rice
THURSDAY, APRIL 5th
Main Route = @@ mile
Long Route = @@ miles
Lafayette - Broussard - Youngsville - Abbeville - New Iberia
Breakfast Options: Breakfast is on your own. We recommend @@
7:00 - 8:30a: SHUTTLES BETWEEN Vermilionville & designated lafayette hotels (Garden Inn & Holiday Inn north)
Bicycle parking options i 1) you can lock your bike Wednesday night up to one of our racks outside at @@, 2) you can drive over Thursday morning and drop off your bike at Vermilionville, then drive back to the Holiday Inn or Garden Inn, park your vehicle, and catch the shuttle to Vermilionville, or 3) if you are camping or staying at the designated local hotels in New Iberia, Breaux Bridge, or Opelousas; then you can park your vehicles at the @@. Be sure to have your parking pass clearly visible on the dash board.
6:00 - 8:15a: Late check-in, packet pick-up, bicycle rentals & shipped bicycles pick-up.
- 6:00 - 8:30a Luggage trailers are staged at @@@. If you are camping or staying at New Iberia Holiday Inn on Thursday night please drop off your luggage at Vermilionville during this time slot. If you are staying in a Lafayette hotel Thursday night, we suggest packing a small "day bag" with a towel and change of clothes to put on the luggage truck. All luggage will be delivered to New Iberia City Park, the staging area for Thursday afternoon.
- 7:45a - 8:30a: Pre-ride jam
- 8:30a: Allons Rouler! Let's ride!
8:30a: This is the only mass start for Cycle Zydeco AND is escorted by police through youngsville. all riders must leave together from Ramada Inn & Conference Center. do not ride ahead or try to pass the escort!
The Main & Long routes will travel together to Youngsville then at mile @@ the Main Route will separate from the Long Route. The routes will be well marked with paint & some vertical signage. The Long route will travel to Abbeville, LA then meet the Main Route in New Iberia.
Is the Intergalatic Boudin Capital of the World. You will have plenty of opportunities to judge for yourself over the next few days. On Sunday, Cycle Zydeco will take you to the Scott Boudin Festival. Scott, LA is the official Boudin Capital of the World according to the State of Louisiana's legislature. In Broussard, we recommend using your Zydeco Bucks at BJ's Poorboys & Sandwiches (07 N Morgan Ave, Broussard, LA) and/or Ton's Drive-In (101 W. Main St., Broussard, LA). Other lunch or snack options include Billeaud Grocery (world renown for its delicious boudin & cracklins), and Young's Sports Grill.
You are now in the heart of sugar cane growing region in Lafayette Parish, once the 3rd largest producer of sugar cane in Louisiana. It will be close to lunchtime and there are a several options to consider whether for a meal or adult hydration. Our recommendations are Romacelli's in Sugarmill Pond, and Hooked-Up Bar & Grill, where you can use your Zydeco Bucks. Other options include: Blue Apache, KK's Cafe & Cakery, Twins Burger & Sweets, Morvant's Bar & Grill, Dewey's, Rotollo's, Nunu's Fresh Market and several others.
MAIN & LONG ROUTE SAGS (refreshment stations):
- 10:00a - 1:00p Sugar Mill Pond, Youngsville
- 12:00p - 4:00p TBD
- 2:00p - 6:00p TBD
- 3:00p - 6:00p New Iberia City Park
Additional LONG ROUTE SAG (refreshment stations):
- 11:00a - 2:00p Dupuy Seafood & Steaks in downtown Abbeville
ABBEVILLE (LONG route)
If you ride the longer route out to Abbeville then you will pass by the Steen's Cane Syrup Plant. World famous Dupuy's Seafood & Steakhouse is not only a water station for riders, but is also a great option for lunch where you can use your Zydeco Bucks. The route will also take you through some beautiful areas in downtown Abbeville, such as Magdalen Square, St. Mary Magdalen Church, the Vermilion Parish courthouse and several others.
NEW IBERIA CITY PARK - DAY 1 FINAL DESTINATION POINT
2:00p - 6:00p Shuttle service for bikes & riders from Avery Island to New Iberia City Park. The route from Avery Island to City Park is only 10 miles and is well-marked for an easy bike ride. However, since it is a weekday with after-work traffic and through a busy section of town; if you wish, we will provide shuttle services to cart you and your bike from Avery Island to City Park.
2:00p - until: Shower trucks, day bags and luggage will be available for you at New Iberia City Park.
3:00p - 11:00p Shuttle Services between New Iberia City Park & Downtown New Iberia and the official hotels of Cycle Zydeco (Hampton Inn New Iberia, Ramada Lafayette, and Holiday Inn Lafayette).
It is an easy 0.5 mile walk or ride from New Iberia City Park to the Steamboat Pavilion in the heart of Downtown. Bring your bike locks, lights and Zydeco Bucks.
3:00p - 5:30p Complimentary therapy and massages from Matt Smith with Clark Chiropractic. Available next to Matt will be Minute Med with IV Fluid Re-hydration.
NEW IBERIA ART WALK & CONCERT
The City of New Iberia is very excited to be hosting Cycle Zydeco. They have moved the date of their semi-annual art walk to coincide with the arrival of Cycle Zydeco. Riders will be on their own for dinner this night. At the end of the art walk, Cycle Zydeco will host a special concert, sponsored by Paul J. Allain, Architect, at the Steamboat Pavilion on the banks of the Bayou Teche.
4:00p - 7:00p New Iberia Art Walk. Take in the sights and sounds of "The most beautiful downtown in America" according to famous "Dave Robichaux" novels author, James Lee Burke. There are several businesses that are not only offering specials for Cycle Zydeco participants, but are also part of the CZ Scavenger Hunt.
- Taunt Na Na's Flea Market: Free Popcorn for Cycle Zydeco riders.
- Shadows-on-the-Teche Plantation Home: Special tour rate of $ 7.50 per person. House tours run approximately 35-45 minutes and begin with a brief introductory video at the Visitors Center. The film is about 13 minutes. Tours begin 15 minutes past the hour, from 10:15a to 3:15p.
- Conrad Rice Mill/Konriko Company Store: Special tour rate of $2.80 for all participants in Cycle Zydeco. Tour hours are from 10:00a - 3:00p. More info.
- Iberia Parish Library: Free tour of the Bunk Johnson Jazz Collection Room, where you can listen to a sampling of his music and/or watch an informative video.
- Sisters: 20% coupon good for April 19-22. One coupon per person on any one item. (some items excluded).
- Sweet Interiors: 25% off all wall art April 17 - 22
- Guidry's Cake Shop: 221 W. Main St. Will be serving complimetary cake bites & coffee during Art Walk, with a guest artist present.
Dinner: Riders are on their own for dinner. There will be many options downtown during Art Walk and after. Zydeco Bucks Participating Restaurants: Bali's Restaurant, Bourbon Hall, Beau Soliel, Freddie's Not Yet Famous BBQ, Little River Inn and Victor's Cafeteria (all in the downtown area). Other downtown dinner options include Bojangle's; Fromage; and Fudge-It for delicious sweet treats.
4:00p - 9:30p Cash bar next to the Steamboat Pavilion in Downtown New Iberia. Be sure to bring the redeemable drink tickets provided in your registration packet!
6:30p - 9:30p Concert at the Steamboat Pavilion in Downtown New Iberia. Live Cajun & Zydeco music performed by Grammy winner Chubby Carrier & the Bayou Swamp Band.
9:30p - 11:00p Continue enjoying the bars and restaurants in downtown New Iberia. Our shuttles will run until 11:00p.